The Modern Purdah System

Recently, I’ve observed a hot, new trend in Indore girls – tying scarves around their faces. Or becoming metaphorical ‘Daakuus’. The common excuse – “so much pollution and heat in our stifling little city!”. If the objective is to be protected from environmental hazards then the scarf use is justified. However, I have seen girls wearing scarves while moving about in clear, low-sunlight evenings and in non-polluted areas such as parks, gardens, shops, malls or one of many cute galis sported by Indore.

Last year, my friend and I traveled daily to Dewas and back for a short stint at industrial training. We commuted in a private or an MRTC bus. My friend would come wrapped up in a coat and wear tightly-draped Taliban-esque scarf and sun-glasses. I could not recognize her at times. She would ask why I wasn’t wearing a scarf and the general cover-up while traveling in the bus. Well, I replied that I didn’t really need a cover-up. Then she would gravely explain to me how one is saved from eve-teasing if one wears it. So here it comes – There is an ulterior motive behind wearing these scarves – The girls want to save themselves from the roving eyes of the roadside Romeos and eve teasers. They simply want to be invisible. They want the freedom of standing at a bus stop without being lewdly stared at or without being tormented by discouraging comments. The scarf provides them the comfort of being hidden away from the harsh world they have to face. It’s a sick, self imposed ‘purdah system’. It is even more prevalent in areas having a multitude of girls’ hostels or student hostels in general. I agree that it’s necessary for girls to be responsible for their safety in a country like India, let alone the world, but hiding behind veils is not the way out; rather it is an act of cowardice. Moreover, there is an ironic side to it. If almost all girls start wearing these scarves at unneeded times on places where it is ridiculous to do so, then guys will get accustomed to seeing girls like that, so if there is a girl who is not wearing a scarf, she will be seen as bold /inviting. How sad would that be?

Secondly, a person’s face is pretty much his/her identity. Now, girls complain that boys see them as objects. But, as they have hidden their facial identity behind a veil, when one looks at them, attention is drawn not to their faces but to every other place imaginable. Consequently, this further encourages people to see them as “objects”. Thus, the purpose of wearing a scarf, or hiding behind a veil, is ironically defeated.
Moving on, Eve-teasing is a pretty casual phenomenon in India. In fact, the society almost considers eve-teasing as an unwritten right that can be exercised by males and as a custom to be endured by females. It is a part of a girl’s day-to-day life. Girls are taught to ignore it to the brink of their patience, and beyond. Girls are further taught that protesting against eve-teasing or the elements that cause it will get them in an even bigger trouble; and consequently, they learn to ignore it i.e., it’s not a ‘big deal’ in India.

As a sincere question to females who have learned to ignore or adapt to this horrible practice – How many times will you let people spoil your day? For how long will you pretend to be deaf and blind to it? Ignoring might be one easy answer to the question. But there are ways of protesting or complaining if you do have the spirit to. The choices to reply back can be as constitutional as reporting the offenders to the police or as bold as instigating the nearby public to initiate a skirmish on the perpetrators. But hiding is definitely not the way out. Girls, don’t hide. Be brave.  

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great post. I hadn't been so annoyed at the regular "purdah" as you call it, but replacing helmets with those scarves was the thing i used to hate most. As you see helmets protect not just skin but lives too...

prakhar said...

A refreshing post certainly... so yay!!!

And yes it seems ridiculous to see ever so urban galz these days holding up to their scarves and sunglasses at 7-8 PM in sound whether!!!!!!

If this is urban india 2day, I see 10 years from now.... every girl strangled in NINJA ROBE covering their eyes too with glasses....... but having no sword to protect themselves!!!

IndyCityBoy said...

Eye-opening.

United Opinions said...

Hi Parul, I reached your blog through your Orkut profile, and I reached your Orkut profile because it showed in the list of members in the Free Thinkers community. I'm very surprised why a person like you is not an active participant in the Free Thinkers and Ambassadors For Peace communities, as so far from my Orkut experience I found these twin communities the best place to put forth any ideas or discuss them. So I would request you to please come and start taking part in the discussions there.

Now about the blog, I find your views about the modern purdah completely sensible. I think that eve teasing is a mentality which has little to do with the face of a girl. Tomorrow if all girls start wearing the scarves, still some would be eve teased at. I find it very irritating when the girls wear these scarves and on top of that when they waves at you, they expect you to recognize them and wave back in return!

I thoroughly enjoyed the blog on the opening page about the dream sequence of politicians. Aniket has a wonderful pen. Man, that is some sarcastic humor!! May I forward it through email to my friends?

And lastly, if you're interested you can have a look at the articles of mine which have been published: http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/78155/ameya_deshpande.html
The most recent of these, I've made a separate website for it:
http://car2008.awardspace.com

Unknown said...

Hey,
Thank you for liking the posts.
Of course, you can share it with your friends, but just remember to give due credit, which I'm sure you will. And better still, you can tell your friends about the blog, if you so desire.
Keep reading and keep commenting. Thanks for the appreciation again!

United Opinions said...

Thanks Aniket! Sure mate, I have never liked taking credit for something which I haven't done. Credit should go to the original creator. BTW, did you have a look at my articles? Any feedback?

I would like to add you and Parul in Orkut, if you guys don't mind. May I have the details please?

Parul said...

Ameya,
Thanks for the appreciation,
We both will definitely read your articles and give you our feedback.I already started reading the associated content one, its very good:-)
I searched for you on the orkut free thinkers community but couldn't find you, you can add us and search for our names -Aniket Sengar and Parul Dixit on orkut.

United Opinions said...

Hi Parul, I'm glad you liked the Associated Content articles. I have already added Aniket and I talked for him for sometime in Gtalk also. But I cannot add you. When I add you, it asks me for your email address. So either you can give me that or you can add me up here: http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Profile.aspx?rl=ls&uid=15787904857712933347

said...

Good write-up Parul..
I always kind of empathize with the girls when i see them, in blazing heat, having to put up with those gloves( entire sleeves actually) n the wrap around their faces but this is even sadder & gives an insight into the pathetic mind-sets of the ready-to-attack-anything-in-a-skirt wolves & the sad plight of the girls..
21st century India?? Chronologically - no debate but psychologically - Nah.. It'll take us a while & some serious mentality change to get there..

Good going..
Neha

Copyright © 2008 - Water and Ice Cream - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template